Quake 4 demo playback is dark

Moderator: OomJan

Hornswoggler

Quake 4 demo playback is dark

Post by Hornswoggler »

I don't think this problem is unique to seismovision but it does interfere with being able to use seismovision as a quake 4 demo playback tool.

When I double-click a demo file, Q4 launches, the demo plays, but the only thing I see are some of the lights. Everything else is black.

To get past this, is to play the demos back manually by loading q4, selecting the mod (i frequently use q4max), launching a listen server, and while the game is running, type in the playnetdemo command. That is the only way I know to get q4 demos to play back correctly

Anybody else experience this problem? Is there any way for seismovision to fix this? I am disappointed with quake4 and its bugs, but hopefully you guys have a work around.

TIA!
Hornswoggler

Post by Hornswoggler »

BTW, I am running version 3.0.334 of seismovision and have installed s3_q4_130_ava.exe
OomJan
Site Admin

Post by OomJan »

I think this is a config error. Open the Seismovision Quake 4 configs and comment out any graphic settings or try using the '_Default.cfg' config. Let me know if this helped.
Kevin Gardthausen, MCP MCAD MCSD.NET
http://www.nugardt.com - http://www.seismovision.net
Hornswoggler

Post by Hornswoggler »

Hey, we are getting somewhere!

I configured seismovision for using _default config and that didn't help... so next think I tried was deleting all my quake4config.cfg files and renaming my autoexec so it does not add any of my settings.

Once I removed my configs, it worked!

So I gradually started re-introducing my settings and isolated the line in my autoexec that was causing such a problem:

seta r_skipUpdates "1"

Quoting tweakguides.com:

r_skipUpdates [0,1] - If set to 1, lighting is not updated, meaning all lighting will become static (fixed direction and intensity). This can improve performance significantly, but reduces realism

I'll have to remember to reverse this command before playing demos. Hope this helps others as well!